Often times, a situation might arise in which you need to purchase a short term auto insurance policy. Whether you need to borrow your friends car for a couple days, or you need to borrow your friend’s truck to help you move some furniture, temporary car insurance policies will give you the protection you need incase the unthinkable happens. Short term auto insurance is readily available and highly recommended in certain situations. Continue reading below for information on why you may need temporary auto insurance and how to find affordable temporary policies.
Why You Need Temporary Car Insurance
Some instances when buying a temporary auto insurance policy is recommended include:
- If you need to purchase a specific type of auto insurance policy for the short-term. For example, maybe hurricane season is coming up and you need to protect your vehicle from hurricane damage, or maybe weather forecasters are predicting a rough winter and you would like to purchase comprehensive coverage to protect your vehicle during snow and ice storms.
- You might be traveling or living in another area for a few weeks or longer. In a situation such as this, getting a rental car doesn’t make too much sense as the rental car expenses will quickly pile up. You might choose to borrow a friend or relative’s vehicle during the duration of your stay and need temporary coverage during this time. On the flip side, you might have a relative visit from out of town and might need insurance coverage for him or her during their stay.
- If you plan on driving a vehicle only once, or for a day or two, you will also need to purchase a temporary policy. If this is the case, you should look at one-day policies. One day policies are good for moving truck coverage, driving your new vehicle off the dealer’s lot and back home, or borrowing a vehicle for a day.
It’s strongly recommended to purchase temporary auto insurance for the following reasons:
- You don’t want to be stuck paying repair bills, medical costs, etc. if you happen to be unlucky enough to be driving a vehicle you don’t have insurance for and happen to get into an accident.
- It is illegal to be driving without insurance in the United States. There are no exceptions. Insurance is required in every state. Even if you will only be driving a vehicle for 10 minutes, you still need to be insured.
- Insurance companies are usually very flexible with their coverage options. Talk to your agent ad tell him or her your unique situation. If you only need insurance for 1 or 2 hours, you can most likely find a very cheap insurance policy. There are really no excuses why you cannot purchase a temporary policy.
To purchase a temporary auto insurance policy, most insurers require:
- Vehicle information (the vehicle to be insured)
- The vehicle owner name and address
- Your name and basic personal information
- A valid driver’s license
Buying A Short Term Policy
Usually, the standard auto insurance policy length is at least 6 months. While temporary policies can be bought for a shorter amount of times (one month, one day, a few weeks, etc.), they will usually cost much more than a half-year or annual policy.
To find inexpensive auto insurance policies for the short-term, your best bet is to compare rates from multiple providers. Many of the leading auto insurance companies in the United States offer temporary policies. Companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate all offer short-term policies. Call your local insurance agent to see which options are available to you. If you would like to compare policies from multiple providers at the same time, scroll back up to the top of this page and enter your zip code. After filling out our brief form, you will be given customized, competitive rates from insurance companies operating in your area.